Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Charles Rennie Mackintosh



Peggy Li Snake Charmer Bracelet, $95.

First things first: I know my post on Lucite is missing photos. I don't know where they've wandered off to, but if anybody could advise how to lure them back, I'd be very appreciative.

Second, I tried to post last night and was again rebuffed by blogger, so I shall post now, which means probably two posts today.

Yesterday afternoon in the midst of not doing my work, I got to thinking about serpent jewelry and how I was going to post on it last week. Then I got distracted whilst researching said serpentry and moved over to Celtic jewelry, which of course led me to Charles Rennie Mackintosh, who is long dead but still I have a small crush. Please do not mention this to the bf. Also, this means that the snake bracelet above is a total tease. Snakes Thursday, I think.



Charles Rennie Mackintosh, for those of you who may not be familiar with the name, was a famed architect (and is still fairly famous, though he died in 1928), often held in such high esteem to rival the attention to Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright and Mackintosh differed in more than there countries of origin (Wright: America, Mackintosh: Scotland). Where Wright went angular, Mackintosh pushed in some curves, lovely and sinuous amongst all those straight Art Deco lines. That rose design above is one of his more famous; in addition to architecture Rennie also dabbled in fabric designs, watercolors and furniture.


(The Room de Luxe at The Willow Tearooms, Glasgow designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh in collaboration with Margaret MacDonald for Catherine Cranston. Photo by Dave Sousa.)

He's a pretty interesting fellow, born in 1868 in Scotland, he began to draw because he was born with a bum foot and a host of eye problems. You can read about him on wikipedia here: Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
He's designed some incredible buildings and interiors, but this is not a building blog! No, this is a jewelry blog, so here some jewelry pieces inspired by Mr. Mackintosh.


Blue Topaz Bangle, $63.


Pendant, $69.


Pendant, $59.


Cuff Bracelet, $79.95


Pendant, $58


Pendant, $48.

All of these items are available at Mackintosh Design,

And, here's my cat:


Doesn't that make you feel you better?

2 comments:

WendyB said...

Meaning this as no insult to the artist...but I love the cat the best! :-) What a cutie. Looking forward to snakes...you know I love those.

In Yr Fshn said...

Aw, that's okay! Stella is used to stealing the limelight from even those as great as Mackintosh. Look at how entitled she seems! I posted the kitty because your dog inspired me...