Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Other Side of Cheese



Ridiculously cute mouse and cheese pic found on this site: Arbroath.

So. I think I've advertised enough the fact that I've been sick since Wednesday, and was off work on Thursday and Friday. When left home alone (and ill), I'm stuck between knowing that rest is good for me, and wanting to shop on days when everybody else is at work. I split my time evenly between the following: the beach, which was blissfully empty and a surprisingly good recuperating agent; Marshall's (a designer discount store); and the couch. The cats and I cuddled up for several hours each day and settled into a Party of Five marathon. Do you remember this show?

Wikipedia notes:
"An American dramatic television series that premiered on FOX Network, September 12, 1994 and ended on May 3, 2000 after six seasons.
The show, a drama aimed at the teenage market and set in San Francisco, centered on five siblings who grow up orphans after their parents were killed by a drunk driver in an auto accident. Before becoming a hit, it dodged cancellation due to disappointing ratings for the early episodes. As a result, it is one of the lowest rated shows to ever win a Golden Globe award (1996 -Best Drama)."




I had maybe watched one or two episodes in it's heyday, but it turned out that the bf had been a pretty ardent fan. Two years ago, he had bought season 1 on dvd in the hopes that we could share the Po5 experience, but I couldn't sit through more then two episodes. I guess things changed when you are home sick and bored out of your mind. I watched about four episodes in a row each day, sending text messages to my bf: "Lacey Chabert looks like a midget. Seriously, something needs to be done about these overalls. They are not doing her any favors."
Then, when he got home from work, I would regale him with examples of the show's cheesiness, it's awfulness, Neve Cambell's cringe-inducing acting including but not limited to: breathy sighs, weird spastic tics and that squinting thing.

Anyhow, with the help of Wendyb, in tribute to gone-but-not forgotten Party of Five, here is a selection of jewelry inspired by the (utter cheesiness of the) show:



Swiss Cheese Ring, $95




Christoffersen International Silver Modernist Earrings, $150




Mouse and Cheese Domino Pendant, $20




Trendy Cheese Slice Sterling Silver Pendant, $13 ("Trendy"?)




Mysterious Gurl Earrings - Sterling Silver And Swarovski Crystals, $15





I Worship Cheese Bracelet, $20





Dapper Mouse & Cheese Chatelaine Pin Set, Sold




Oxidized Sterling Silver Dark Moon Earrings, $30



Mouse and Cheese Necklace, $45



Fancy Swiss Cuff, $180 (ring also available, text can be added to these pieces for an additional charge)

Phew.

10 comments:

WendyB said...

BWAH! Great post. The swiss cheese ring is my favorite. On the show, didn't they start off with an English bulldog who just sorta...disappeared?

WendyB said...

Oh, and someone once told me I looked like Neve Campbell?! I wasn't really sure what to say so I just said, "Thank you" to be polite.

In Yr Fshn said...

Thank you!
Neve was actually quite pretty, I thought! It's just her mannerisms that drove me up the wall. God, that squint!!!
Anyhow, thanks again for your help with this one. I was coming in ready for "5 strand necklaces" and "5 stacked rings" but this worked out much better. Also, the dog totally disappears. I wish he would have eaten useless plot motivator Owen-the-baby before he left.

WendyB said...

BWAH HA HA! I forgot there was something even more useless than the dog. The baby! That show was too much. J. Love was quite the hottie on it, as I recall.

In Yr Fshn said...

LOL, you couldn't even remember the baby! See? I have yet to hit the J. Love arc, but am looking forward to it a great deal. Unfortunately, we don't have season 2 on dvd, in which Julia (neve) is the victim of domestic abuse. Of course I would never say that anybody deserved it, but...

WendyB said...

I love how they had every problem: death, domestic abuse, alcoholism, disappearing dogs. You name it! They were like a family of Jobs.

Lauren said...

that "cheese" ring is too cool!

krissy said...

hey look, modish blog was thinking about cheese today too!
http://modish.typepad.com/modish/2007/09/cheese-plant.html

In Yr Fshn said...

Krissy, it is a small world indeed!

modish said...

oh, how funny! good cheesy chic finds! :)
-jena