Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sometimes She Cries


(Making a kayak stylish.)

Today is my mom's 49th birthday. I know women past a certain age don't generally like to have said age announced, but look at her:


She's beautiful no matter what, but I still can't believe she is almost 50. It doesn't help that people are constantly asking if my mother is my sister, something she loves and I hate.

I won't go overboard with sentimentality here, I just want to say that I have the best mom out there. Some may argue that you, in fact, have the best mom, but I'm sorry. Maybe your mom is a very close second. Did your mom pull you out of class grade school so you two could visit the Ice Caves in upstate NY? Did she nurture your love of jewelry as a youth, teaching you what diamond settings are classic? Was your mom the "cool" one that all your friends wanted to have? Did she always let you have dessert even though she works in the dental field?


(Mom, I know you hate this picture, but it's the only one with the two of us. Not my fault.)

She's the best to shop with, talk with, be with.

Another thing you should know about my mother: she's a little emotional. She cries for a lot of reasons, sometimes I get it and other times I don't, but that's okay. So today's post is in honor of my mother, her birthday, and her occasional tears (I have to request in cards to her that she not cry while reading).
P.S. She totally approved of this theme.

Momma, happy birthday! I love you!
Here's pretty jewelry that looks like tears:




Elsa Peretti® Teardrop pendant, $9600




Turquoise and Marcasite Teardrop Ring, $27



Mallary Marks Sapphire and Quartz Lattice Earrings, $720




18K White & Yellow Triple Row Teardrop Ring, $235



Sapphire and diamond studs, £135.00




Elsa Peretti® Teardrop necklace, $2750




L Frank Diamond Slice Ring, $2,700

8 comments:

WendyB said...

This is a beautiful post. Happy birthday, mom! I love the photo of you two together. You're both so cute!

In Yr Fshn said...

Thanks, Wendy. She'll be happy to hear that---she really likes your blog!

WendyB said...

OMG! Then she must be reading me more than my own mother. How supportive! Can I adopt your mom? Wendy has two mommies?

In Yr Fshn said...

LOL@ two mommies! Isn't there a book about you then?

I would allow partial custody, though I promise you the sister thing gets really annoying.

krissy said...

such a lovely birthday post for your mom! it'll probably make her cry. good tears though...sweet, sentimental, oodles-of-love-for-her-daughter kind of tears! hope she has a super birthday. (i can't imagine why she doesn't like that photo of the two of you together...she's gorgeous!)

btw: thanks so much for the nice comment about my cameo necklace. you can absolutely use it in your future blog post...i'm so honoured!
:)

Vintage Bunny said...

Your mom does not look her age...at all!
You know what the best part is ?If the theory that you age like your mother is true......then you are in luck.I hope its true because mine is 56 and looks 50.not a wrinkle and she weighs less than 100 lbs and has a hard time keeping weight on(I desperatley hope I will end up like her.

But this is not a comment about my mom so In Yr Fshn' s mom...Happy Birthday and heres to many,many many youthful years.Cheers(and thanks for not naming her Candy)

In Yr Fshn said...

Krissy: Thank you! She did cry!

VB: Thanks! I am keeping my fingers crossed re: aging well.

gilda said...

that's so amazing. your mum is so young!!! you must be so proud of her, and she of you.